Little Chocolate Reminders

After a recent visit to my college town and a night with one of my best friends, I have regained sight of my goals and fantasies. Having strayed so far from the path of where I was going with this blog and now returning to that path, I am able to reflect on why it is that I love baking so much. Last night I found myself exhausted, aching from a cold that has turned into a lung infection, and lost somewhere between a cloud of flour and the frenzy of bubbling chocolate and butter. Pulling the first batch of Chocolate Crackletops from the 350 degree F oven, I felt renewed with energy. Although this energy may have been resulting from the dense sugar-laden chocolate batter I had been licking off the blender, I was nonetheless excited and anxious to again share my passion of baking with others. So now, if simply baking a Chocolate Crackletop can renew my motivation, then imagine what eating one can do for others. With that, I wish to share a recipe with you...

Chocolate Crackletops
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cups butter
  • 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (chopped)
  • 4 eggs (beaten)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups M+M's (mini) or chocolate chunks... play around with this part, but I recommend the M+M's for your first try.
  • additional sugar for coating
  1. Combine flour and baking powder in large mixing bowl, set aside.
  2. In large saucepan over low heat, combine 2 cups sugar, butter, and baking chocolate. Stir until melted and remove from heat. (Remember to take your time when melting chocolate)
  3. Gradually stir in beaten eggs and vanilla.
  4. Stir saucepan mixture into flour mixture until well blended.
  5. Chill for 1 hour.
  6. Stir in M+M's, chill for one more hour.
  7. Roll into 1 inch balls, roll in bowl of sugar.
  8. Bake 2 inches apart on well greased and floured pan.
  9. DO NOT OVER BAKE, these will come out very soft so be careful when removing from pan.
  10. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
  11. Pour yourself a cup of Java, take a deep breath and savor your creation.
Chocolate Crackletops (using chocolate chunks)


No comments:

Post a Comment