Congo Bars

Umm yes, that is me in the purple sweater and yes, that is Bakerella!  I know, I can hardly believe it myself... I got to sit next to her!  Oh my gosh.  She even signed my Cake Pops book!  Oh my gosh.  


Turns out, she not only rocks at making amazing sweet treats - she's even a sweet gal in person.  


So this week I decided, in honor of finally meeting Bakerella in person, I would indulge in one of her very own recipes.  Congo Bars to be exact.  It's kind of like combining a brownie with a cookie and then taking the level of amazing x10


Here's my rendition of Bakerella's Congo Bars...

Congo Bars
2 3/4 c. flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt 
4 T. cocoa powder 
2/3 c. butter (softened) 
1 lb. light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
11.5 oz. package chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chunks)
Powdered sugar for garnishing

1.) Prepare a 13x9 inch pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  
2.) Mix flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
2.) In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3.) Add room-temperature eggs, one at a time to sugar mixture.  
4.) Add vanilla and continue to blend on low.
5.) On low, add flour and mix only until combined.
6.) Stir in chocolate chips.  Spread batter into pan.  
7.) Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.  
8.) Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  

Happy Baking!


1 comment:

Brandon said...

These bars disappeared quicker than you could say, boy these are tasty!

Post a Comment